The Research Diaries #3: Earthquakes and Omens

Recent earthquake (orange dot) on Sept. 12, 2019
(via USGS)


After a slow start with my research, I'm hoping that things will begin to move along much faster this fall. To help with the momentum, I've scheduled a meeting with my PhD committee, however, the best day to do so is tomorrow - Friday the 13th. Now, I'm not a superstitious person. After all, when has anything bad happened to me on Friday the 13th? I'll take my chances. However, early this morning - at 1:42am for those who are sticklers for precision - I had just woken up as I was rolling over in bed when suddenly an earthquake rumbled through. I heard my window blinds rattle and felt my bed vibrate, which brought me into a state of sleepy confusion unsure if it was an earthquake or just my neighbors on the other side of my wall. It was initially recorded as a 3.7 by the USGS with an epicenter 19 km (11.8 miles) south-southeast of Gassville, Arkansas just east of the Buffalo River in Baxter County. On it's own, it doesn't seem too worrisome. However, this is in my study area! I'm not superstitious, but if I were looking for omens, these would be high up on my list. In the meantime, I'll try to avoid ladders, black cats, and breaking a mirror.

If I remember beach ball diagrams correctly, this fault is primarily a strike-slip.
(via USGS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Norphlet Crater: When A Good Well Goes Bad

The Fatal First Natural Gas Well in Southern Arkansas

Naturally Historical Coins from the UK